Be a good role model for your kids. Follow the rule, “If you do it, they will learn it.”
1. Exercise (to the best you physically can, you know when you are being lazy)
2. Eat healthy (not everything you can at any time)
3. Be kind (not a nasty, mean grouch)
4. Be assertive (not an angry, aggressive being)
5. Loving (not doing for your kids only because you have to)
6. Care (not only go through the motions)
7. Be available (not on your phone/out because you can)
8. Be the person you want them to become.
This kind of common sense seems to work.